Wednesday, March 5, 2014

The President's Dilemma

     Hello, folks! Let's talk about the BNPP. 
      
  Never mind, we'll just tell you a story. This is a story that could probably take place some decades later. This is a story if I were a newly elected president during a time of an oil crisis--- oil prices are high and the country is suffering. Let us tell you the story of:

The President's Dilemma

"Oil prices are so high! We need an alternative source of energy! What am I going to do? I'm the president, what can I do to save this country?" I pondered as I walked around in my office, troubled. "Aha! I can open the Bataan Nuclear Power Plant! Wait... Morong Beach is just 8 minutes away from here. That is the turtles' habitat. They might be affected by radiation from the BNPP." I had this question troubling my mind as I walked out of my office to get some fresh air. The fresh breeze might help me think. 


Memes
     One of my friends, Jensen, approached me, noticing my troubled looks. "What's bothering you?" He asked. 

     "Well... our country is facing an oil crisis. The price of oil rose so high. We need an alternative." I answered sadly. 

     "Open the BNPP then." He answered. 

     "That was what I was thinking, but there are turtles nearby. It is not even a 10-minute ride from the BNPP to the Morong Beach. You know that's where the turtles live." I replied, facing another question that has to be answered. 

     "Opening the Power Plant is safe. Just make sure that it is always secure. Make sure that the workers follow the necessary precautions and keep it safe. That's all you have to do." He said, answering the dilemma I had for the past few hours, but not every question I had. 

     "But if we fail to maintain the power plant, it will cause damage and kill life. Then I'll be blamed for not being responsible of the maintenance of the power plant." I said. 

     "You can always assign trusted officials to oversee and manage the power plant. And if ever it does happen, you just have to face it. Plus, that is not very likely to happen. Power plants in other countries don't even affect nearby places and people. This means that it is safe and wouldn't affect the turtles. Ah! Look at the time, it flies so fast. I have a meeting to attend to. Hope you can solve this problem!" He left before I could say my goodbyes. 
Memes 

     After this talk, I decided to consult the people of Bataan directly. I left at once. After hours of traveling in my car, I finally arrived in Bataan. I called for a meeting among the officials of Bataan.


     I felt a little nervous just being a newly elected president. It was silent. I cleared my throat and I started by asking them a question. "Are you in favor of opening the Bataan Nuclear Power Plant?"

     They started talking among themselves, arguing about this issue. "Why do we need to open this power plant, Mr. President? It has stayed dormant for all these years. Why are we opening it now?" One official said.

     "Well-" I started to say when another voice suddenly interrupted. 

     "Our country is facing an Oil Crisis. We need another supply of energy and so we should open the BNPP." 

     They started to argue. So, I finally said. "Since we are a democratic country, let us just decide on this through a friendly voting." All of them nodded in agreement. 

    "Let us start then, shall we? Okay, who is in favor of opening the BNPP?" 16 people raised their hands. "Who is not in favor of opening the power plant?" 5 people raised their hands. 


     "Why are you not in favor of opening the power plant?" I asked them in order to see their opinions. 

     "Well, the turtles would be affected." The first man said. 

     "If something happens to the BNPP it will cause great damage." Another man said. 

     "I'm not in favor because the thing has not been used since it was built; its material is not as stable from modern materials and is most likely old," the third official said. Other reasons came after these three answers. 

     I was more troubled now. At first, I wasn't in favor. The next time, I was convinced. And now, I don't know anymore. I thought for a while about these reasons and found an answer and solution to each one. I smiled as I finally decided what side I am on, to open it! 

     "For the first reason, turtles wouldn't be affected by the radiation of the power plant. Look at the power plant in Korea. It is so close to Busan City, a tourist destination, and yet the people are not affected. We will maintain the power plant well and secure it well. Take extra precautions and choose workers that are qualified and trustworthy. If the parts are old, we can replace it with modern ones. The power plant is maintained so anytime we can just open it. We still have some nuclear pellets to power the plant. So is every one with me?" 

     "Yes!" Everyone shouted. 

     "Let's do it then." 

     I went to other meetings convincing them to open the Bataan Nuclear Power Plant. After all the people agreed to this decision, we started right away, choosing officials and workers to do the job. 

     After a month the Bataan Nuclear Power Plant is operational again. Thanks to my friend who first convinced me, the Philippines survived the oil crisis.


~Fin~

     That's all, folks! This is a story of how and why the BNPP might be opened.

Thanks for reading! See you next time!


"Ang buhay ay parang gulong, minsang nasa ibabaw, minsang nasa ilalim."
-Tagalog Saying
(Be a president while the wheel is up!)

"Ang maniwala sa sabi-sabi'y walang bait sa sarili."
-Tagalog Saying
(So why did the president trust what his friend told him? Just kidding!)


Photos by: TinCan and Meme Maker

2 comments:

  1. Hi! Here's your 2nd to last grade!

    Content - 10/10
    Coherence - 4/5
    Creativity - 5/5
    Voice - 5/5
    Mechanics - 5/5
    Text Layout - 5/5
    Graphics & Multimedia - 3/5
    Intellectual Honesty - 5/5

    TOTAL: 42/45

    ErroneousErrors:
    1. This is a story if I were a newly...
    Isn't it supposed to be "This is a story where I am a newly... Etc etc.

    2. How'd a friend suddenly enter the premises of the president?? Better off "manager"

    3. Very repetitive of Q's and A's.

    Much nice. Very story. Wow.
    I like the fact that it is in story. Nice job there!

    PS: pseudonyms.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Here is your score:

    Content - 10/10
    Coherence - 5/5
    Creativity - 5/5
    Voice - 5/5
    Mechanics - 5/5
    Text Layout - 5/5
    Graphics & Multimedia - 5/5
    Intellectual Honesty - 5/5
    Comments - 9/10
    Peer - 42/45
    Late Comment (-4)

    TOTAL: 92/100

    Just look at how I graded you. And check your mail.


    P.S.
    Your total score for DefyingNewtonsLaw was supposed to be 39.

    ReplyDelete